Validation of non-formal and informal learning for university degrees - bachelor and master
Validation of non-formal and informal learning (Validation des acquis de l'expérience - VAE) at the University of Luxembourg allows you to validate your experience in order to access the different levels of university studies, to obtain a bachelor's degree (3 years of higher education) or a master's degree (5 years of higher education).
VAE is for anyone, regardless of age, level of studies or professional status. The prerequisite is to have completed at least 3 years of paid, unpaid or voluntary work (not necessarily continuously) directly related to the qualification sought, or to have already studied in higher education.
To identify the diploma that corresponds to their experience
in order to access studies, applicants can consult the list of bachelor's
and master's degrees
awarded by the University of Luxembourg.
Applicants must register online and submit their full application to the Study Department (Service des Études et de la Vie Étudiante - SEVE) at the University of Luxembourg.
Applications for validation of professional experience or non-formal and informal learning or previous higher studies should be sent to the Dean of the corresponding Faculty during the academic year:
- before 1 December for possible admission for the summer semester;
- before 1 May for possible admission for the winter semester.
The application consists of a portfolio comprising the following items:
- a cover letter specifying the training for which validation is requested,
- a detailed CV,
- certificates for training courses attended,
- qualifications obtained, and in case of higher education accomplished abroad, any certificates of validation,
- certificates for continuing training activities,
- evidence of professional activities and experiences (length, type, jobs, employer reference etc.)
The application is examined by a panel whose members are appointed by the Chancellor, at the proposal of the Dean of the corresponding Faculty. The panel:
- examines the application,
- interviews the applicant,
- as required, organises a work role play session and an assessment.
In the event that the validation request has been made to gain entry to a course of study leading to a bachelor's or master's degree, the panel will ensure that the request enables the student to meet the criteria for the granting of such a diploma by the University of Luxembourg. If the request has been made to gain entry to a course of study leading to a bachelor's degree, the panel will ensure that the student's educational pathway is compatible with mobility requirements.
The panel will give the grounds for its decision in a written report, drawing on all of the information obtained. It will send its report to the Dean, who will inform the applicant of the panel's decision, in writing.
It is possible to apply for the validation of higher education studies carried out abroad.