Anyone who fulfills one or more activities linked to the (theoretical or practical) training function, either in an institution for education or training, or at the workplace.
- two categories of trainer can be distinguished:
- professional trainers are training specialists whose job may coincide with that of the teacher in a vocational training establishment;
- part-time or occasional trainers are professionals in various fields who take on, in their normal duties, part-time training activity, either in-company (as mentors and tutors of recruits and apprentices or as training providers) or externally (by occasionally offering their services at a training establishment);
Source: Cedefop (2014) "Terminology of European education and training policy: A selection of 130 key terms"
- trainers may carry out various tasks:
- design training activities;
- organise and implement these activities;
- provide the actual training (transfer knowledge, know-how and skills);
- help apprentices develop their skills by providing advice, instructions and comments throughout the apprenticeship.