VAE for Higher Technician Certificate
Validation of non-formal and informal learning (Validation des acquis de l'expérience – VAE)
allows experience to be recognised with a view to obtaining all or part of a Higher Technician Certificate (Brevet de Technicien Supérieur – BTS).
VAE is for anyone, regardless of age, level of study or professional status. The prerequisite is to have completed at least 3 years or 5.000 hours of paid, unpaid or voluntary work directly related to the requested certification, whether continuous or not.
In order to identify the diploma matching his/her experience, the applicant is advised to consult the list and obtain information from the schools and colleges in question. Some BTS qualifications are not yet accessible through VAE.
Process to follow
The validation application and registration application should be sent to the Head of the school/college in question in order to obtain the diploma. The validation application is accompanied by a portfolio which must set out, with reference to the diploma sought, the knowledge, aptitude and skills that the applicant has gained through experience.
Based on the proposal of the college Director, the Ministry appoints an ad hoc Commission for each training programme.
This Committee assesses the validation request and the portfolio and interviews the applicant. It may request a placement into a professional situation (whether real-life or simulated). While deliberating it assesses the knowledge acquired through experience with regard to the curriculum of the desired diploma.
The ad hoc Committee may take one or several of the following decisions:
- exemption from producing one of the certificates set out by Article 10 (1) of the Law of 19 June 2009 (setting out the terms and conditions for higher education courses of study leading to a Higher technician certificate (BTS));
- registration provided that an additional part of the curriculum is completed;
- exemption from attending some of the training modules or classes comprising the modules;
- exemption from compliance with some of the validation measures;
- exemption from all of the modules, classes and examinations leading to the diploma being granted.