Assistance in acquiring Luxembourg nationality
Luxembourg law allows foreigners involved in the procedure for acquiring Luxembourgish nationality to request the reimbursement of the fees for registering for the Luxembourgish language examination and/or language classes.More information about acquiring Luxembourg nationality
Reimbursement of registration fees
Subject to the conditions laid down in a Grand-Ducal Regulation, the State reimburses the cost of registering for:
- the Luxembourgish language examination 'Sproochentest Lëtzebuergesch' (registration fees of €75);
- an introductory course in Luxembourgish (at least 24 hours), covering oral expression and comprehension (up to €750), in the context of an application to opt for Luxembourgish nationality by an adult who has been legally resident in the Grand Duchy for the past twenty years at least;
- the other Luxembourgish language classes (up to €750) attended by the applicant before signing the document requesting naturalisation or the declaration with a view to opting for or reclaiming Luxembourgish nationality.
All Luxembourgish language classes delivered by the National Languages Institute (Institut National des Langues - INL) are recognised. Classes may also be organised by training providers whose syllabus has been approved by the Minister with responsibility for education.
Requests for reimbursement should be submitted using the pre-established form to the office in charge of Luxembourg nationality (Service de l'Indigénat) at the Ministry of Justice.
Requests for reimbursement must include:
- a receipt issued by the INL or a copy of a bank transfer or deposit, for reimbursement of the cost of registering for the Luxembourgish language examination;
- one or more receipts issued by the INL and/or a training provider whose syllabus has been approved by the Minister with responsibility for education, for reimbursement of the cost of registering for Luxembourgish language classes. The number of hours of class attended and the amount paid must be indicated.