New version of the European classification of Skills, Competences, Occupations and Qualifications is live!
European Commission - 26/04/2022
The European Commission has published a new version of the European classification of Skills, Competences, Occupations and Qualifications (ESCO). This comes after a two-year process which involved the review of existing concepts as well as the development of new occupational and competence profiles.
ESCO V1.1 is intended to respond to two main needs:
- Remain useful in the labour market and in education and training
- Review the quality of ESCO in line with stakeholder needs
ESCO v1.1 marks a few key changes from the previous version of ESCO namely:
- New content with 68 new occupations, 354 new skills and 158 new knowledge concepts created and translated in all ESCO languages
- A new hierarchy for transversal skills with a revised structure and terminology on transversal skills and competences
- Green, DigComp, and Research skills labels - the new ESCO has developed a taxonomy of skills for the green transition and for researchers as well as the skills listed in the European Digital Competence Framework for Citizens (DigComp) competence areas
- Quality improvements with 500 terms being updated whether it is through the removal of duplicates or by indicating the relationship between terms and concepts.