abcd.lu – Basic education
Basic education is for adults who want to learn to read and write better in at least one of the country’s written languages – French and German – and for people who want to improve their numeracy.
These basic skills constitute a solid foundation for more autonomous, more advanced learning in the future.
The training is personalised and geared to each participant’s starting level of knowledge and skills; it is anchored in the learner’s personal experience.
Trainings in basic education cover five areas:
- recognising all the letters of the alphabet;
- deciphering unknown words;
- identifying names of people and places;
- reading and understanding road signs;
- reading and understanding short texts containing familiar, everyday words;
- recognising information included in a simple text;
- reading and understanding simple instructions;
- using a dictionary.
- writing all the letters of the alphabet and all the numbers;
- copying simple letters, words and expressions;
- writing a simple note or message;
- writing a list;
- filling in a form;
- using a computer spellchecker.
- using polite forms of address and greetings;
- initiating a simple conversation;
- expressing simple messages, explanations and instructions;
- expressing personal requirements in everyday situations;
- demonstrating interest and understanding during a conversation;
- talking about oneself, one’s work, everyday life and interests;
- pronouncing correctly.
- identifying polite forms of address and greetings;
- listening and reacting during a conversation on personal and familiar subjects;
- reacting to simple messages and instructions;
- understanding the content of a simple description or narration;
- identifying emotions, opinions and needs expressed in simple language;
- expressing understanding or failure to understand.
- counting and comparing numbers;
- mastering simple addition and subtraction;
- mastering simple multiplication and division;
- using a calculator;
- calculating using money;
- recognising figures such as triangles, rectangles, squares and circles;
- reading plans and maps;
- using units and instruments of measure;
- understanding and using simple tables and graphs;
- using percentages and fractions.
See abcd.lu courses – Basic education.