The portal for lifelong-learning

Register of qualifications and certification

The procedure for obtaining formal recognition of a higher education diploma acquired in another country is as follows:

  1. the diploma may either be listed in the register of higher education qualifications
    • usual procedure for obtaining academic and/or professional recognition of a foreign educational qualification, but it does not confer any entitlement to practise;
    • prerequisite for publicly holding a higher education qualification (three or more years of higher education)
    • prerequisite for taking up certain professions (chartered accountant, economic consultant, architect, consultant engineer, fundamental school teacher, teachers with civil servant status, assistant teachers, etc.).
  2. or by certification
    • prerequisite for taking up the following regulated professions:
      secondary school teacher (arts subjects),
      secondary school teacher (science subjects),
      medical doctor,
      pharmacist and
      lawyer (barrister, judge, notary).
    • applies to all applicants wishing to take up a regulated profession, regardless of their nationality.

The recognition of university or higher education diplomas falls within the remit of the Ministry of Higher Education and Research (Ministère de l'Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche).

Listing in the register of qualifications

A higher education diploma is listed in the register of qualifications if:

  • it constitutes the final qualification in a course of higher education studies,
  • it is awarded in respect of studies lasting a minimum of three years,
  • it has been issued in accordance with the legislation and regulations governing higher education in the country in which the qualification was conferred.

Qualifications issued in the Grand Duchy are listed automatically.

The following may not be listed in the register of qualifications:

  • intermediate diplomas (Zwischenprüfung, Vordiplom, 1re and 2e candidature, DEUG, DUT, DEUST, etc.),
  • diplomas not recognised by the governmental authorities of the State where the establishment which conferred the diploma has its headquarters (mainly private establishments).

How to apply for listing

Applications for listing in the register of qualifications should be sent to the secretariat of the Commission for Qualifications (Commission des Titres), together with the following documents:

  • the listing application form, duly completed,
  • a copy of the final diploma to be listed in the register of qualifications (together with a translation into French, German or English produced by a sworn translator if the diploma is not in one of these three languages),
  • a copy of the applicant's ID document,
  • proof of payment of the fee to cover the cost of processing applications for listing in the register of qualifications.

Applicants who are not nationals of a European Union member State must also provide:

  • a residence certificate establishing their place of residence in the Grand Duchy (or copy of resident's permit)
  • a CV on which the duration of the corresponding studies is indicated.


Applicants for the certification of their diploma of higher education must also send in a copy of the diploma awarded at the end of their secondary education.

If this was obtained abroad (A-levels, Abitur, Baccalauréat, Bachillerato, Certificat d'enseignement secondaire supérieur, High School diploma, Maturità, Selectividad, etc.), the applicant must first apply for recognition that this diploma is equivalent to the diploma awarded for success in the examination taken at the end of secondary studies in the Grand Duchy.

Certification procedure

Applicants wishing to have their higher education studies or diploma certified must include the following documents with their application - to be sent by post or handed in in person at the Commission for Certification (Commission d'homologation) at the Ministry of Higher Education and Research:

  • a letter explaining the reasons for the application,
  • a CV,
  • a copy of the applicant's birth certificate or ID document (EU national) / passport (third party national),
  • a copy of the certificate awarded at the end of secondary studies, i.e. either
    - a Luxembourgish diploma of successful completion of general or technical secondary education or a Luxembourgish technician's diploma in the specialisation studied,
    - a diploma awarded in another country for successful completion of secondary education recognised as being equivalent to the Luxembourgish diploma according to the Luxembourgish regulations in force.
  • a copy of the diploma awarded at the end of higher studies, to be certified,
  • a copy of any intermediate university diplomas obtained,
  • a copy of an official statement of subjects for each academic year studied,
  • proof of payment of the fee to cover the cost of processing applications for certification.

The documents must be in one of the three official languages of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (French, German or Luxembourgish) or in English, or translated into one of these languages by a sworn translator.

More information about the procedure


Print Expand/Collapse all
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Google+ Send to a friend
Back to Blog
Jan Feb Mar Apr
May Jun Jul Aug
Sep Oct Nov Dec
Did you find this helpful? Your opinion helps us to improve this website. Please send your comments to  webmaster or give us your Feedback. Yes Somewhat No uses cookies

By using this site, you accept the use of cookies necessary for navigation and for performing statistics.

You can change your cookies settings at any time in your browser. OK